Resources for Subscribers
Top Reference Materials
Hey there! Thanks for reading and subscribing to my site!
Here is a list of the top reference materials I studied that helped me pass my SE exam on the first try. I definitely recommend them.
Of course, this list does not include all of the actual code books which I talked about them here.
Vertical and AASHTO
- Structural Engineering Reference Manual – This is a MUST HAVE. It contains lots of info for gravity design and a little bit of info for AASHTO.
- SEAOC Structural Seismic Design Manual (Vol 1, 2, 3, 4) – These books cover pretty much the majority of what you need to know about seismic design. I highly recommend them no matter what your experience level is.
- AISC Seismic Design Manual – This is basically the front part of AISC 341. It contains lots of detailing examples for steel members and connections design.
- Seismic Detailing of Concrete Buildings – This little book is published by PCA and I highly recommend it if you are taking Building for the afternoon session. It has lots of diagrams which is extremely useful for answering the afternoon essay questions.
- WoodWorks.Org Design Examples (FREE) – WoodWorks is an organization that promotes the use of wood as structural members. The link has quite a few examples that I find really helpful.
Not much to say about these two except that you need to go through these at least once. Treat them like you are taking an actual exam (set a timer and layout your books…etc).
Make sure you review the answers for the ones you got wrong as well as the ones you got right (because sometimes you may just get lucky and happened to stumble on the right answer in a multiple choices).
- Structural Engineering Practice Exam by NCEES
My Flowcharts & PDFs
These are flowcharts I created to help myself remember things that I am not familiar with. I was planning on adding explanations for all of them but it's taking a little bit longer than I thought.
So I figured I'll just share them all with you guys. I hope you find them useful!
Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
|Reinforced Concrete Design (with Flowchart) – Concrete Beam with Tension Reinforcement Only|
|Determine the Capacity of a Reinforced Concrete Beam with Tension Reinforcement|
|Wood Design Shortcut – Beam Stability Factor (and Column Stability Factor)|
|13 Things You Need to Know About “Seismic Design Criteria” (ASCE 7 Chapter 11)|
|Three “Seismic Design Requirements” Flow Charts: The Quickest & Easiest Way To Learn The Design Values In “ASCE 7 Chapter 11 & 12″|
Daily Planning Spreadsheet
Last Updated 4/11/2017
(Click Here to Go to Homepage)